Quinoa & Apple Stuffing
This simple homemade stuffing is full of hearty ingredients like protein-packed quinoa, tart cranberries and sweet apple bits.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt + 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 diced apple
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped leek
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- Rinse the quinoa in a sieve under water for approximately 30 seconds and drain thoroughly. Add it to a pot with the low-sodium vegetable stock and sea salt, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, stir in the diced apple and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Once all the water is absorbed, remove the pot from the heat and stir in fresh thyme and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- While the quinoa is cooking, you can create the other component to the stuffing. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the leek, celery, and shallot for 4 minutes until soft.
- Add in the garlic, sage, rosemary, nutmeg, sea salt, and ground black pepper, and cook for 2 minutes. You may need to reduce the heat to medium-low so you don’t burn the garlic. Then add in a 1/2 cup of low-sodium vegetable stock and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add in dried cranberries and parsley and cook for another 2 minutes. Mix this into the quinoa and apple component and serve warm.
You can make this dish ahead of time and then reheat in the oven before serving.